Saturday 16 January 2016

David Bowie




It was a sad week for David Bowie fans, and I would have to include myself in that statement.
David Bowie has been around my whole life and I suppose if I was to ask each one of you what it was about him that struck a chord with you I would get many answers. I can only speak for myself,
so today I decided to write a blog about why he affected my musical life.
                          David Bowie was for decades leading the field in innovation as a writer and performer. We know that he constantly changed his appearance, style, and sound, which can be risky at best for fear of losing fans that "bought into" the style you had previously. David Bowie however managed this time after time whilst still keeping a loyal fanbase. He had such a creative lively mind that he always had something for his fans to look forward to and wonder "what next"?.
                         For me as a singer songwriter, I appreciated how he managed to have a strong
music base to his songs but then be able to take you off at a tangent even just for one chord with a sort of hanging depth....The song "Absolute beginners" is an example that springs to mind where almost straight into the first verse after the first line there's one of those typical Bowie changes.
                         I think I related to his depth, which was obviously a part of his character and something I would always love about his work, in fact just looking for a picture of him for this blog I could see a lot of depth in his face. I also loved and admired how he wrote songs that weren't always that commercial but for artistic reasons, just for the need to be different and explore different sounds.
                         As a songwriter and performer he had an air of confidence that made you just believe in him and his ability to keep going, which is why it came as a shock to me and countless others this week. I will genuinely miss him and his work.  R.I.P David.

https://www.facebook.com/JasonMarkYates
https://www.jasonmarkyates.com                       

No comments: